Just received BeagleBone Blue and had the same issue as described here when
trying to perform a distribution upgrade, which led me here.

My steps to recreate the problem:-
1) I created this image
https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2019-03-24/stretch-console/bone-debian-9.8-console-armhf-2019-03-24-1gb.img.xz

on 16GB SD card using https://etcher.io/
2) Booted beagle using the new image on SD card
3) ssh to the beaglebone blue
4) enabled wifif to connect to my wifi
5) sudo apt-get -y update
6) sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
After running step 6 it fails with input\output error after about 5-10
seconds.

Did anyone have any success on finding a solution?
How did you guys get on when receiving a new BeagleBone blue.

after this point the device is servilely hindered as not many commands work

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/9e52eca1-375e-4898-8225-56a08194c968%40googlegroups.com.