I think I managed to get past this issue. I tried another SD card, it was a
really old one I had lying around, 2GB in size. I'm pretty sure there was
nothing wrong with the previous 16GB card as it was used in my action
camera. Fsck also found no errors.
Using the 2GB card I went through the same process as when using the 16GB
card. This time round it went through the distribution upgrade procedure
and seems to be working ok.
I no face another problem with arducopter but that's for another forum.

Maybe it's the issue is something to do with the SD cards class?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAAcOY3XDPyZhCtcq%2Bkgm5E7-O2w4wiiPqZW5WQf6vptY%2BnX6tg%40mail.gmail.com.