I've made a lot of progress thanks to the Exploring Beaglebone book.  I am
turning AC pumps and motors on with relays that I control from the digital
outputs through opto-isolators.  But when I needed to read a water proof
temperature probe, I got stuck.  I bought the DS18B20 and didn't comprehend
it was Dallas single-wire interface.  I thought it was just a waterproof
TMP36 which I was already reading successfully.

The examples for the DS18B20 are all pre-UBoot.(I'm running 4.4.14 now).  I
compiled a device tree overlay but don't know how to get it loaded, where
to put it so it gets loaded, what file to change and what the command
should be to have it load on boot.  Is this all in the book somewhere?  If
not, could you share a resource that would help me?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/90814ecc-368c-46b5-9ade-d10e88d3d919%40googlegroups.com.