I realize this is an old post but I'm hoping to get some answers ;)  :
Problems pinging www.google.com

I have a BeagleBone Black Rev C that is running the latest Debian. I've
been going through Derek Malloys book and video to get things started
(excellent material BTW),

I am connected to a Win 10 laptop (64-bit) using the USB interface and am
using putty to connect through SSH. My problem is I cannot ping a DNS name,
i.e. www.google.com. pinging 8.8.8.8 does work. When I try to edit /etc/
resolv.conf it says file does not exist. On the terminal the file
resolv.conf is shown in red; What does this mean?

Can anybody help with hints on how to set up name server on BB Black Rev C
with Debian?

Thanks,
Brian