Hi Brian,

On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 18:44:50 UTC+3, Brian Tremaine wrote:

> I realize this is an old post but I'm hoping to get some answers ;)  :
> Problems pinging www.google.com
>
> I have a BeagleBone Black Rev C that is running the latest Debian. I've
> been going through Derek Malloys book and video to get things started
> (excellent material BTW),
>
> I am connected to a Win 10 laptop (64-bit) using the USB interface and am
> using putty to connect through SSH. My problem is I cannot ping a DNS name,
> i.e. www.google.com. pinging 8.8.8.8 does work. When I try to edit /etc/
> resolv.conf it says file does not exist. On the terminal the file
> resolv.conf is shown in red; What does this mean?
>
> Can anybody help with hints on how to set up name server on BB Black Rev C
> with Debian?

On my BBB "/etc/resolv.conf" is a symbolic link which points to connman's
/run/connman/resolv.conf:

$ ls -lha /etc/resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jun 30 13:12 /etc/resolv.conf ->
/run/connman/resolv.conf

In your case - if the terminal shows this file in red, it likely indicates
a broken symlink, i.e. it points to file a file which doesn't exist. You
can verify this by listing the file being pointed to and verifying its
existance. In my case (my link is OK):

$ ls -lha /run/connman/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 85 Sep  4 08:24 /run/connman/resolv.conf

As a temporary solution you can delete the broken symlink and add your own
name server manually

$ sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
$ sudo vim /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 8.8.8.8

As a permanent solution, try to figure out why connman hasn't managed to do
its job :)

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo