Connecting with ssh I found that out-of-the-box if I ran top or htop the
lxqt-panel process was taking a consistent 5% of one of the cores. After
updating it increased to 9% (lol). A "killall lxqt-panel" put a stop to
that and idle time returned to 99%. The GUI stuff shouldn't even be running
without a valid HDMI HDID, right? Can't wait to get a console image working
and leave all that GUI junk behind..