I'm looking for some guidance regarding updating the IP address for the
BBB.  I have a BBB that I need to place remotely on my network. Its a
custom BBB with no connections on it what so ever, other than the USB port.
Its a non-wifi model. So I'm looking to find a way to use a usb-Ethernet
adapter and connect it to the USB port.

So I need to update the IP address from 192.168.6.2, but more importantly I
need to update the subnet so I'll be able to access it on my network.

Its obvious that I can update the information in the interfaces file, I've
done this before with a raspberry pi. However what I'm concerned that if I
go about making changes its going to disable access completely and that's a
risk I don't want to take. I just ordered a new board. I'll do some
experimenting with the SD card, so i'll avoid bricking issues.

However, I was hoping to gain some insight as to what steps I should take.
I've read that there are init scripts running at boot that setup and
configure the USB0 as well.

Does anyone have any insight as to what steps I should take?

Michael