On 6/1/20 7:30 am, Michael Ascenzi wrote:
> I'm looking for some guidance regarding updating the IP address for the
> BBB.  I have a BBB that I need to place remotely on my network. Its a
> custom BBB with no connections on it what so ever, other than the USB port.
> Its a non-wifi model. So I'm looking to find a way to use a usb-Ethernet
> adapter and connect it to the USB port.
>
> So I need to update the IP address from 192.168.6.2, but more importantly I
> need to update the subnet so I'll be able to access it on my network.

You'll also need to configure your host to bridge the USB Ethernet
interface created by the BeagleBoard with your host's Ethernet
interface.  Otherwise you've got two completely separate Ethernet
segments and traffic will not pass from one to the other.

/etc/network/interfaces is where the IP addresses are configured.
There's two there, one on 192.168.6.2 the other on 192.168.7.2, I think
some platforms only support one of the interfaces, but Linux may see
either (or both).

Alternatively, you might consider routing:
- edit /etc/network/interfaces on the BeagleBoard to make your host (at
192.168.6.1) the default gateway
- enable IP forwarding on your host
- configure your packet filter to permit traffic to/from the BeagleBoard
- configure your network's default gateway to send traffic destined for
192.168.6.2 to your host (so it can forward it over USB to the BeagleBoard).
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.