Your subject is miss-leading. You're searching for a display.

You can either use a text only display, ie with I2C or SPI interface.

Or you can still use a HDMI monitor, since you need not disable all HDMI
pins. Just keep one or three of them for a black & white frame buffer.

BTW: The HDMI pins block PRU-1 GPIO. Only 16 inputs / 15 output are
avialable. Instead running on PRU-0 you can have the full set (17 inputs /
16 outputs) and HDMI in parallel. (You've to wire some GPIO to the SD card
slot.)
<http://users.freebasic-portal.de/tjf/Projekte/libpruio/doc/html/ChaTNT.html#SecPruGpio>