Ok,

     I was able to use the USB network to ping 8.8.8.8 with an earlier
build version
Debian 7.5 (BeagleBone Black - 2GB eMMC) 2014-05-14
<https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-14-2gb.img.xz>

     But when I use the latest build, cannot ping 8.8.8.8
Debian 9.5 2018-10-07 4GB eMMC IoT Flasher
<https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-blank-debian-9.5-iot-armhf-2018-10-07-4gb.img.xz>

    I reviewed the soft link in /etc/resolv.conf which takes me to
/run/connman. There wasn't any file there, but I added
<https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-blank-debian-9.5-iot-armhf-2018-10-07-4gb.img.xz>
resolv.conf with the contents of nameserver 8.8.8.8
<https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-blank-debian-9.5-iot-armhf-2018-10-07-4gb.img.xz>
    Also, did sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.7.1

    I changed the routing with in windows to accommodate the passing of
request to the internet. Note: everything worked
fine with Debian 7.5, but I am trying to get Debian 9.5 working, because I
need to retrieve libraries from over the internet.

Earl
<https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-blank-debian-9.5-iot-armhf-2018-10-07-4gb.img.xz>