I found the builtin Cloud9 IDE worked fine for me for the PRU Cookbook[1].
prudebug[2] is a simple way to see the registers.

It's already installed, so it pretty easy to get started.

--Mark

[1] https://github.com/MarkAYoder/PRUCookbook
[2]
https://markayoder.github.io/PRUCookbook/04debug/debug.html#debug_prudebug