On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:59 AM John Allwine <j...@allwinedesigns.com>
wrote:

> I'm happy to leave the pinmux alone, but if all I'm doing is reading or
> writing to the GPIO can I do so from /dev/mem?
>
> According to this post, it's about 1000x faster:
> http://chiragnagpal.com/examples.html
>
> It's also how hal_bb_gpio is implemented:
> https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit-hal/blob/master/src/hal/drivers/hal_bb_gpio/hal_bb_gpio.c
>
> If necessary, it could be rewritten to use sysfs, but if it means being
> 1000x slower, that's not ideal.

I've used /dev/mem to access(read, and write), registers on the BBB and I
do agree. It is much faster.

The reason why it's bad to use /dev/mem . . . is that there is no way for
the kernel to know what state a given "device" is in. That is, without a
physical read. Potentially, this could be bad. Especially if another driver
or application has access to the given hardware register.