You my want to consider using libgpiod with the /dev/gpiochipN character
device.  You can get and set multiple lines in one syscall.

The libgpiod tools are installed on the Debian image.

More info:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/11/03/learn-more-about-linuxs-new-gpio-user-space-subsystem-libgpiod/