Thanks Dennis!

This is what I ended up doing:

1) I flashed an SD card with this image:
https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/am57xx-debian-9.9-lxqt-armhf-2019-08-03-4gb.img.xz
2) Booted up the BBAI with the SD card in.
3) sudo mkdir /mnt/emmc
4) sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/emmc
5) Edited /mnt/emmc/boot/uEnv.txt and switched the kernel back
6) sudo shutdown -h now
7) Removed the SD card
8) Booted back up successfully from the eMMC

This post was helpful:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/449529/repair-uenv-txt-from-u-boot-terminal