On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 20:00:42 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user
tomburtell-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org wrote:

>I had the same problem.  I had messed around with uEnb.txt and made it
>unreadable to the OS, stopping the OS from loading.  I tried the link to that
>version of Linux you listed, but it didn't work at all.  Then, I tried a
>different
>version,(https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/bone-debian-9.9-lxqt-armhf-2019-08-03-4gb.img.xz)
> and it booted up like it should have when I held down S2. Also, on the matter
>of using a USB to UART cable, the manufacturer of the cable had the labels
>reversed.  (Tx and Rx).  Be aware that this might be a problem for you too.
>That took a while to trouble-shoot because the gobbledygook that is output to
>the screen is usually thought of as being just a bad baud setting.

        Please keep track of which board you are discussing.

                am57xx-debian-9.9-lxqt-armhf-2019-08-03-4gb.img.xz
is for the Beaglebone AI whereas
                bone-debian-9.9-lxqt-armhf-2019-08-03-4gb.img.xz
is for the Beaglebone Black (and similar boards).

        The BBAI and BBB use different SoCs (with much different on-board
hardware [unlike the R-Pis which have different SoCs but same on-board
hardware, so can function with a single OS image with just a bunch of board
specific DTBs), so an image built for one is not expected to run on the
other. As I recall, the BBAI also does not have a boot-select button (a
button that hasn't, in normal use, been required on the BBB since Debian
Jessie -- if the eMMC had been flashed with a modern uBoot smart enough to
search for the SD card and transfer control)

--
Dennis L Bieber