I tried running it off SD and eMMC  Same problem.

I also tried a larger flash, in case I was running into size limits on
doing the updates.  No good.

In the end, the whole process made for a very unsatisfying experience.  I
kept adding to a lists of things that seemed to "break" the file system.

After about a week, I decided to cut my losses and change hardware platform.

I invested in a Nvdia Jetson NANO and Development kit (for about 3x the
price).  But it also includes a GPU for vision processing and deep learning.
It's been a much more satisfying experience, and since ditching the
Beaglebone Blue, I have installed the NANO on my robot platform, configured
the full-desktop version of ROS-MELODIC and Ubuntu 18 with Gazebo.
I've also got the robot driving using a Wireless Game controller (via a ROS
node) and generating odometry data through a ROS Topic.  I'm now working
towards mapping.

If the Beaglebone Blue is targeted towards linux Robotics, it needs to be a
bit more stable, and better supported.
Anyone want to buy one cheap :)