On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 1:50:03 PM UTC-7, Dennis Bieber wrote:

>         I can only state then, that a quick perusal of the online
> documentation
> (in particular, the github readme) gives this one the impression that the
> package provides a specific program running on a PRU which must be used,
> and that a host application, via a library, talks to that PRU to perform
> I/O. If setting the configuration and subsequent I/O performed without
> involving a PRU, it is not readily apparent. The presence of that warning
> about the PRU being able to access any memory reinforces this, as it
> implies that a PRU could write to the pin-mux registers to change
> configuration.

Pinmuxing *must* be done from privileged mode (effectively: Linux
kernel/kernel module only).  Neither userspace nor PRU can change a pinmux.

If you must have a pin that changes direction and you need to control it
from the PRU, you can use the digital I/O's on the IEP (industrial ethernet
peripheral).  I can confirm that this works.

See:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/beagleboard/AcQ3lY03UD0/glUL7Rc-CgAJ
https://e2e.ti.com/support/processors/f/791/t/445028