What Image are you using?
cat /etc/dogtag (provided it is a debian image)
or sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh
or uname -a (might help)
How are you powering the board, 5v supply or usb? if usb, is it via a
powered hub?
can you also provide the output of ifconfig from the beaglebone black?
Does Nautilus show BEAGLEBONE folder?

I'm running 'BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2019-08-03' and am able to ssh to
the beaglebone black on 7.2 and 6.1 from desktop (ubuntu 18.04)