Your using Ubuntu 18.0.04 good, this is what I'm using also. Are you using
any firewall software, like ufw, if you are, make sure port 22 is allowed.
Yes, BBB comes with pre-install OS. If your BBB boots without and sdcard,
then it is booting form the emmc.
to boot from the sdcard, you have to hold the 'USER' button during the boot
process. (that is from the time the power is applied, till the leds start
flickering)
Do you have a USB-TO-SERIAL converter that can be connected to J1, it may
help in debugging the issue.
Can you ping 192.168.7.2 from your lap top?
When you ssh, are you using debian or root?
*You do have openssh*-
*server installed on the laptop, right?*