On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 12:15:09 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user Rishabh
<rishabh.gupta777-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>I am running Ubuntu 18.04 inside a VM using VirtualBox hosted on Windows
>10. I am trying to use a PL2303HXA serial to USB cable to get the serial
>output to my terminal in Ubuntu. I am doing this to view U-Boot.

        Wonder if Win10 may be getting in the way... The driver for the HXA is
no longer supported in Win10.
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41
"""
 NOTE:

    Windows 8/8.1/10 are NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X EOL chip
versions.
"""

        I don't know how VirtualBox handles USB devices -- if they pass through
to the guest OS as raw devices, or if VBox is intercepting the guest I/O
and mapping through the host OS...

https://www.google.com/search?q=PL2303HXA+&oq=PL2303HXA

--
Dennis L Bieber