Looking at the A1 schematic

Connect external 5V, + to P9.5 and P9.6 and - to P.9.1 and P9.2.
Diodes protect from connecting both cape and USB type C at the same time.

P9.1 P9.2 GND
P9.3 P9.4 VDD_3V3 output to Cape
P9.5 P9.6 VDD_CAPE_5V input to BBAI
P9.7 P9.8 VDD_5V output to Cape

There is a diode from VDD_CAPE_5V to VDD_5V
There is a MOSFET over-voltage breaker from TypeC_VBUS to VDD_TYPE C; and
diode from VDD_TYPE C to VDD_5V