Hi Niresh,

On 02.09.20 08:41, Niresh wrote:
You are right, I've done a little experiment to confirm the same.

Good to hear!

Could you please tell me starts from which version of kernel "BB-I2C*2*-RTC-DS3231.dtbo" device tree works. I will tell you why,  I was using arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-4.9 to compile my application code in the 4.4.30-ti-r64 kernel, and it compiled and ran perfectly. Now the same application code gives me an error message with compiler arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-8 in the new image 4.19.94-ti-r42.

Like I said before, I am not a linux guy and the developer, who coded this and has left the organisation, cautioned me to stick with 4.4.30-ti-r64 kernel for stable operation of application code. Please advise which version is good to go and how to overcome this issue.

I haven't a clue.

Looking at the the larger picture, the Debian distribution installed on your BeagleBone (version 10 a.k.a. "buster") is happy to work with a few different versions of the gcc compiler and the kernel. The problem here is that you're looking to use some really old stuff.

Regarding gcc - Debian 10 has out of box support for gcc-7 and gcc-8, but not gcc-4. You can search for older versions (e.g. "apt-cache search gcc-7") and install them (e.g. "sudo apt install gcc-7").

If gcc-4.9 is really required, you might try the official packages from Debian 8 "jessie" (when it was last supported), but it's going to be tricky to install and leave the package system in a weird state. You can also compile gcc-4.9 yourself from source :). As an alternative, you can try to keep your code up to date with newer compiler releases and try fixing the code so it compiles with gcc-8.

Regarding the kernel - there are probably old kernel releases which are OK to use on Debian 10 and might even support the recent device trees that you need. You can search for them in the package system (e.g. "apt-cache search 'kernel-image.*4.4.30*'") but I have no idea what happens if you install them. Maybe Robert can comment on that.

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo