Try installing libgpiod from the debian package repository - with luck you
might find an older version which supports the available kernel version.
Run "apt search libgpiod" and see if the packages are there; then install
them as usual ("sudo apt install libgpiod libgpiod-dev" or something
similar). For compiling other source code against it, you'll also need the
development package which ends with "-dev".

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo