I have a second hand BBB and it seems to be setup with bespoke image.  I
can boot it from the SD card I made on the BB website, but am not able to
get the image copied over to the BBB.  I have looked on the net and tried a
few things (they did not work) that I really don't understand and am
looking for someone to advise me in a little more of an explanatory way
please?

What I have achieved.  Made an SD card with a BBB image.  Inserted card,
booted with the button held down and released.  Logged in as debian using
putty with SSH.

What I have not achieved.  Tried to boot without an SD card and can not see
BBB using arp -a in command line.