Astrid:

I debugged an I2C bus just recently - I had 3 devices, a DS3231 real time
clock, a BME680 environmental sensor and a BNO055 inertial motion unit.  I had
a lot of trouble with the last one.

Two suggestions:

First, use the i2cdetect and i2cdump utilities.  The basic commands to check
i2C bus 2 (pins P9_19 and P9_20) are:

I2cdetect -l
I2cdetect -r 2

You can google "i2cdetect BBB” to find more info.  Using these rules out any
problems with Python.  If your device is not showing up, check your wiring. If
it is showing up and i2cdump works too, then you may want to check the python
libraries.

Second, if you have access to an oscilloscope, use it to check SDA and SCL.  My
BNO was appearing in i2cdetect and working intermittently in Python.  When I
looked at it with the ’scope, it was clear that low to high transitions on SDA
where taking far too long.  A 1KΩ pull-up resistor fixed this (add it close to
the sensor between SDA and 3V3).  If you don’t have a scope, try adding the
pull up resistor.  My devices each had a 10KΩ pull up, but this was not enough.
 Be careful that the combined load does not exceed the 6 mA the BBB pins can
safely sink.

In case you need it, here’s the full list of python libraries I installed.  The
first one is included in a fresh install, but check to see if it needs
upgrading.  You can ignore the last 3 and use the one for your sensor instead.
Nothing else is needed.  There is a lot of old information still posted; these
should work on a fresh install.  Note the odd underscore in lis3dh is correct.

sudo pip3 install Adafruit_BBIO -U
sudo pip3 install adafruit_circuitpython-lis3dh
sudo pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-busdevice
sudo pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-register
sudo pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-ds3231
sudo pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-bme680
sudo pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-bno055

Hope this helps,

-Steve