When I got my BBAI a year or 2 ago, the update link presented by the
pre-installed software, downloads the wrong update, then you are left with
an BBAI which will only run for a short time, not enough time to update
again the same way.

I eventually found an image to install on an SD-Card. I could not be sure
if it updates the on board memory.

Which one of these http://beagleboard.org/latest-images do you put on a
SD-Card or USB flash memory stick?
Which updates the on board memory?