On Thursday, 20 May, 2021 at 11:01:42 pm UTC+5:30 RobertCNelson wrote:

> > removed wpasupplicant and connman and old kernel
> >
> > sudo apt-get purge linux-image-4.14.108-ti-r134 wpasupplicant connman
> >
> > debian@beaglebone:~$ systemd-analyze
> >
> > Startup finished in 13.502s (kernel) + 36.686s (userspace) = 50.188s
> >
> > I then removed the initrd file in /boot directory (From what I
> understand this kernel does not necessarily need initrd).
> > debian@beaglebone:/boot$ sudo mv initrd.img-4.19.94-ti-rt-r63
> moved-initrd.img-4.19.94-ti-rt-r63
> >
> > Removing the initrd gives the max speedup for kernel. From 10s-13s with
> initrd, it reduces to 1s-2s
> > debian@beaglebone:~$ systemd-analyze
> > Startup finished in 1.663s (kernel) + 36.385s (userspace) = 38.048s
> > debian@beaglebone:~$ systemd-analyze blame
> > 1min 4.266s dev-mmcblk1p1.device
> > 26.360s generic-board-startup.service
> > 3.847s systemd-udev-trigger.service
> > 2.824s loadcpufreq.service
>
> You can nuke this ^, it's really only for am57xx, so we can
> downclock.. But on am335x, let it run at full speed as these are set:
>
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
>
> > 2.215s networking.service
> > 1.647s ssh.service
> > 1.396s us...@1000.service
> > 1.209s rsyslog.service
> > 1.189s systemd-journald.service
> > 999ms dnsmasq.service
> > 897ms cpufrequtils.service
>
> Same as above..
>
> > 855ms systemd-timesyncd.service
> > 674ms systemd-fsck-root.service
> > 642ms systemd-logind.service
> > 505ms systemd-udevd.service
> > 445ms systemd-user-sessions.service
> > 408ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
> > 389ms systemd-update-utmp.service
> > 375ms hostapd.service
>
> You nuked wpasupplicant, get rid of hostapd..
>
> > 365ms systemd-modules-load.service
> > 326ms dev-mqueue.mount
> > 324ms systemd-random-seed.service
> > 312ms sys-kernel-config.mount
> > 291ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
> > 274ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
> > 236ms kmod-static-nodes.service
> > 231ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
> > 200ms systemd-remount-fs.service
> > 190ms systemd-journal-flush.service
> > 185ms systemd-sysctl.service
> > 145ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
> > 130ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
> >
> > Next point to attack is the generic-board-startup.service. The main time
> that process spends is in the file /opt/scripts/boot/am335x_evm.sh
> > This takes care of the USB flash, Serial and network gadgets that are
> initialized. Remove items which are not needed. It also has a lot of
> generic selections for Beagle family boards which can be removed. I am
> working on my version for just beaglebone black with only network over USB
> support.
> > Some ideas can be found here (
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/issues/10)
> >
> > Hope that helps.
>
> --
> Robert Nelson
> https://rcn-ee.com/

Thanks a lot Robert. Your help is most appreciated.
I have implemented your suggestions and removed the following services
loadcpufreq.service
cpufrequtils.service
hostapd.service
My current boot time still ranges between 48s to 52s

debian@beaglebone:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 1.751s (kernel) + 48.369s (userspace) = 50.120s
debian@beaglebone:~$ systemd-analyze blame
    1min 14.318s dev-mmcblk1p1.device
          9.419s generic-board-startup.service
          5.353s systemd-udev-trigger.service
          2.470s keyboard-setup.service
          2.438s networking.service
          2.423s ssh.service
          2.161s dnsmasq.service
          1.718s systemd-logind.service
          1.613s systemd-journald.service
          1.018s systemd-timesyncd.service
           969ms systemd-fsck-root.service
           730ms systemd-udevd.service
           595ms user@1001.service
           589ms rsyslog.service
           549ms slim.service
           500ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
           488ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
           479ms systemd-update-utmp.service
           469ms dev-mqueue.mount
           456ms systemd-sysctl.service
           451ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
           384ms systemd-modules-load.service
           380ms sys-kernel-config.mount
           352ms systemd-journal-flush.service
           344ms systemd-user-sessions.service
           319ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
           310ms systemd-random-seed.service
           284ms kmod-static-nodes.service
           257ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
           250ms systemd-remount-fs.service
           227ms console-setup.service

Any suggestions to bring it down further?
I am using a X desktop with slim as the login manager with autologin on LCD.
>From the generic board startup services, I am using network over USB (not
the serial over USB and flash over USB) parts.
What else should I be able to nuke to get the time faster?

Regards,
-amit