While I have not looked at the related source code yet, I'm wondering what
is it that makes it hard to implement.

My assumption was that include directives would be parsed, the related
files concatenated into the end-result: a complete input file. From there
on, the actual processing of directives would continue.
Or, if directives would be processed one-by-one, the included file with
options being the first, should still somehow get processed first.
Obviously, there are reasons why things are not this simple.