On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 4:18 PM Daniele Nicolodi <dani...@grinta.net> wrote:

> On 25/07/2020 13:14, Martin Blais wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM Daniele Nicolodi <dani...@grinta.net
> >     Would it make sense to have v2 depend on the new project instead that
> >     having the code in two places?  beancount v2 setup.py could restrict
> the
> >     version to (for example) 'beanprice < 2.0' so that incompatible
> changes
> >     can be pushed to another branch.
> >
> >     This only requires publishing beanprice to PyPI and declaring the
> >     dependency in setup.py (and merge the patch that removes beanprice
> from
> >     master to the v2 branch). I can do that if there is agreement about
> this
> >     way forward.
> >

> > I thought about removing it from v2, and doing the same for report/web,
> > but I kind-of feel that until v3 has at least a "beta" level base to
> > work from, it's probably best not to mess too much with v2, current
> > users should be able to just keep working without having to make changes.
>
> Unless I am missing something, there would not be any user visible
> change other than one more package downloaded and installed when 'pip
> install beancount' is run.

That's assuming people aren't running from source.
I assume many users here run directly from source code and it's probably a
minority who pip install.
I don't really know TBH.

I think of v2 as "frozen" at this point, more or less, new development will
occur on v3. As long as the changes are trivially mergeable to v3 and
introduce only very minimal changes (e.g. bug fixes), I probably will do
them on the v2 branch, but anything interesting will happen on v3. There's
no point in breaking things on v2. Let's break things in v3 (and make
progress).