On Sunday, 26 July, 2020 at 2:06:50 pm UTC+5:30 Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> Does anyone know of a (free) service allowing to lookup current prices
> by ISIN?

I'm not sure if necro-bumping is frowned down upon in this mailing list. If
so, my apologies.  I just came across this and thought I'd share some
comments, since I didn't see a direct response to this question.

At one point I was trying to do the same: I use ISIN as the commodity
symbol for all my mutual funds, ETFs, stocks, and bonds, and I was trying
to automate downloading of prices via an API.

I eventually realized this wasn't quite that simple (though there is a
script for this, that I've linked to at the end).

A single ISIN can translate into multiple ticker symbols in multiple
exchanges.  An ISIN only identifies the security but not the exchange.  The
same security might be traded in multiple exchanges across different
countries valued in different currencies and at slightly different prices
(the price differences wouldn't be too large, else there'd be opportunities
for arbitrage).  (And while there is a standard code for exchanges (called
MIC, or market identification code), I don't know of many who actually use
that.)

At one point, I was looking at converting ISIN into ticker symbols from the
exchange I wanted information from, and then doing the look-up, but I
realized that if you need to be specifying the exchange, one might as well
directly get information from the exchange if it provides it.  That's what
I ended up doing with small scripts like, which get information from the
primary source:
https://github.com/the-solipsist/scripts/blob/master/ledger_get-indian-stock-prices_bse.sh
https://github.com/the-solipsist/scripts/blob/master/ledger_get-indian-mf-prices.sh
and so on.

There are tools (such as OpenFIGI) to get ticker symbols from ISIN.  So you
could convert from ISIN into the ticker and then use sources like
Alphavantage or Yahoo Finance.  The tool pricehist supports both, and can
output to beancount format:
https://gitlab.com/chrisberkhout/pricehist

And there are also sources (such as Morningstar's API) which given an ISIN
and an exchange, can provide you data.  Here's a Github project that makes
use of Morningstar's API with ISIN:
https://github.com/LunaticMuch/msdownloader

I hope that helps.

Cheers,