That's what I was considering. I suppose that is the only way really: if I
want to report on it I need to record it as a posting and I need to absorb
it somewhere so everything balances.

Is there any reason you're suggesting an equity account as opposed to, say
expenses? Intuitively, it feels strange to call this equity but maybe it's
because I'm relatively new to beancount.

Back to my example, if add 2 accounts: Income:Hooli:BIK and Equity:BIK, it
would become:

2000-01-31 * "Salary"
    Income:Hooli:Salary       -2000 GBP
    Income:Hooli:BIK          -50 GBP
    Equity:BIK                50 GBP
    Assets:Pension            500 GBP
    Expenses:Taxes:Income     250 GBP
    Expenses:Taxes:NI         50 GBP
    Assets:Bank:Current       1200 GBP

With this, I could say that:

- Taxable Income: SUM(Income:Hooli:*)
- "Normal" Income: SUM(Income:Hooli:*) - Equity:BIK

As usual, naming things is hard so I'll need to come up with an intuitive
name for these accounts

If that's the case I guess I really needed a rubber duck to think this
through :)

Thanks