That was it. Swapping the order of the two plugins fixed the error. In
addition, auto_accounts opens the leaves automatically, but it does not add
a directive to open an ancestor account if that's missing. I had another
set of transactions with a different broker, and all the leaf accounts had
an open statement, but not the parent one (...:WiseBanyan was never open,
but ...:WiseBanyan:Cash, ...:WiseBanyan:APPL, etc were).