I tend to use beancount and beanquery to extract interesting data and to do
further processing in pandas in Jupyter Notebook,  where data processing
and visualization tools are very developed.

https://www.isabekov.pro/multiperiod-hledger-style-reports-in-beancount-pivoting-a-table/

I think what you are asking for is effectively pivot table subtotals. This
can be done both in pandas
<https://www.statology.org/pandas-pivot-table-subtotals/>