I'm curious, has anyone setup Beancount scripts or reports to flag expenses
that might need further attention? The situation that made me think about
this is a quarterly bill that doubled multiple times after years of being
stable, which is an obvious red flag.

Unlike in the past, virtually of my Beancount interactions are highly
automated, which combined with the fact that time is at a premium these
days, causes me to miss details like this.

In this particular case, a rule to flag expenses that deviate from their
norm over a certain time period (monthly, annually) might be simple to
write, but I was wondering for a more general, perhaps fancier solution
that would learn to distinguish what's normal and call attention to what's
not, as rules based solutions tend to be incomplete and require constant
fiddling.