Thanks for the feedback. I got a warning somewhere - not sure if it was in
beancount or maybe paisa, saying that expense accounts can never have
withdrawals

I wonder if a better method might be to not add this entry

2024-01-24 * "Car electricity usage"
    Expenses:Utilities:Electric
    Expenses:Car:Energy                               10 KWH {0.15 USD}

And instead adjust the first entry from

2024-01-02 * "City Electric Co" ""
    Expenses:Utilities:Electric               42.24 USD
    Liabilities:ChaseCC

2024-01-02 * "City Electric Co" ""
    Liabilities:ChaseCC                     -42.24 USD
    Expense:Car:Energy                     10 KWH @ 0.15 USD
    Expenses:Utilities:Electric
    # leave Utilities:Electric blank to auto-calculate that term from the
other provided terms.

Then, no deduction occurs from an expense account.

Although, I assume deductions must be allowed, for example if you get a
refund?

   -k.