Chary Chary wrote:
> ------=_Part_256348_1813530103.1709552281845
>
> ------=_Part_256349_1810007931.1709552281845
>
> Thanks for sharing your success!
>
> Question: did you import and classified (assigned the other leg of the=20
> transaction) all your transactions manually or did you use any automation?

  for the oldest account which i just finished i used
reds-importers as a basis for some transactions but
about 80% was done manually because there were no
electronic transactions available (previous to 2019).
it was not that bad since most of it was copy and
paste with just a little editing.  the more difficult
things were when i found a few errors (which caused
me troubles years ago and i didn't hunt them down
completely back then but i knew there was something
off someplace).  going through it all again month by
month and verifying the balances did finally point
out the troublesome transactions and they've now been
annotated and marked, but mainly everything balances
and works out (down to the penny).

  the brokerage accounts i wrote a custom importer
because of how they had several transactions for each
event and then in some cases it did not.  then after
the brokerage merged with another company it changed
their methods and then again it has merged with yet
another company.  i'm now doing that account manually
until i decide if i want to write yet another importer,
it's not that many transactions to edit by hand.

  the largest remaining account of history i have to
finish is also going to be a custom importer and i've
already gotten the skeleton of that one working i
just need to flesh it out.  may take me until next
winter though to finish that one because as spring
comes around i get busy outside in the gardens.

  once i have the bulk of the transactions done for
an account i don't have enough volume of transactions
to even bother with going through the hassle of
downloading the transactions and then going through
them.  i can usually copy and paste what i need and
edit it faster than what it takes me to remember how
to get the process to run and then i still have to
go through and check them anyways so...  i just do
it manually with the current transactions to keep up
to date.

  it's really a mess that all the financial institutions
have their own formats and don't make it easy at all
to get your information from them.  having to sign up
and pay for access via a third party is even worse.

  fin