n6tadam> Perhaps I can join in the conversation?? Are you running apache as your
n6tadam> websever? If so, you can specify mutiple aliases so that the main /cgi-bin/
n6tadam> folder is aliased to other folders of your convienience.

I'm not sure why people are still so entranced by the use of the
word "ScriptAlias".  Not to mention that ScriptAlias is something
only the webmaster can edit, not general users, since it's illegal
to use in an .htaccess file.

You can have mod_cgi-handled files anywhere in your hierarchy, provided
two conditions are true:

1) the option ExecCGI is on
2) the file is handled by "application/x-httpd-cgi

So, for example, if you wanted ~merlyn/cgi to be a cgi-bin, simply:

- create public_html/cgi
- in that directory, place an .htaccess that contains:

        options +ExecCGI
        sethandler applications/x-httpd-cgi

And like magic, it's a CGI bin!

I'm never typing "ScriptAlias" again.