Greetings list peoples,

I was not sure whether or not this is an issue dealing exclusively with cgi
i(thought certainly it must be a factor) so I have taken the liberty of
sending this to both lists.

Here is my (to my mind) very perplexing problem.

I have a collection of CGIs that all use a module I have written.  All are
using strict and include the line

print "Content-type : text/html \n\n";

The problem is that these files are intermittently returning server
errors.  At times they will execute fine and then the next time I try to
execute I get a server error though the code remains unchanged.  The error
that is recorded in the log is always:

[07/Jun/2001:12:33:13] failure (29703): for host 10.5.1.116 trying to GET
/cgi/dispatcher/bugtrack.cgi, cgieng_scan_headers reports:
  the CGI program /oracle/web/docs-intranet/cgi/dispatcher/bugtrack.cgi did
not produce a valid header (program terminated without a
valid CGI header. Check for core dump or other abnormal termination)

though the file names change.

Also these files refuse to execute altogether if I use the -w flag.

Interestingly,  Issuing a perl -Twc (i am using taint as well) filename.cgi
from the command line does not raise any warnings and tells me my syntax is OK.

I would include some code, but there is an awful lot of it and I am
entirely unsure where the problem is since perl -wc gives me no feed back
other than the (usually) confidence building
syntax OK.

These scripts live on a Solaris 5.6 sun server running Netscape's web
server version 3.6

Sorry to be so vague.  I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Thank You

Peter Cline
Inet Developer
New York Times Digital