--- fliptop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > print "Content-type:  text/html\n\n";
> >
> > My question is this: Since you already have the CGI module included and
> > used, why not call the CGI module's header() function? I thought that it did
> > the same thing, and might be a little clearer in intent.
>
> i could, since both statements do the same thing.  now that i think
> about it, i really don't know why i still do it manually.  force of
> habit, i guess.  that's the beauty of perl, 'tmtowtdi'!

That's *almost* correct.  CGI.pm also states the "charset" that the document is to be
rendered
with:

    C:\>perl -MCGI -e "$q=CGI->new;print $q->header"

This tells the browser what type of character encoding to use.  For example, if you
want japanese
characters, you could use ISO-2022-JP.  If the charset is not specified, the browser
(if I recall
correctly), will use the default charset that the user has chosen.

In practice, this rarely makes a difference, but when working with international
documents, it's
important.

Cheers,
Curtis Poe