--- fliptop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > That's *almost* correct.  CGI.pm also states the "charset" that the document is to
>be rendered
> > with:
> >
> >     C:\>perl -MCGI -e "$q=CGI->new;print $q->header"
>
> well, as you'll see in the next step, i include this line in the head
> section of the html document:

> does that do the same thing?

Yup.  It's the same.  The 'http-equiv' meta tag takes its data and and adds it to the
response
headers from the server, thus accomplishing the same thing.  I know that some User
Agents ignore
meta tags, but I suspect that if they can't handle meta tags, they probably can't
handle character
sets other than ASCII or extended ASCII.

Cheers,
Curtis Poe

=====
Senior Programmer