>> There's never a "list assigned to $foo_count in a scalar context"...
>> the phrase doesn't even make sense to me. :) You can't assign a list
>> to $foo_count.  It can never happen.  Never.  A list cannot exist in a
>> scalar context... the guts of Perl mandates that.

Tillema,> That's how it was phrased in the camel; "List assignment in scalar context
Tillema,> returns the number of elements produced by the expression on the _right_ side
Tillema,> of the assignment..."  Your explanation certainly goes into much more detail,
Tillema,> however. Thanks!

Ahh, there's HUGE difference between

        list assignment _in_ scalar context

and

        list assigned _to_ [a scalar]

Let's draw that out.  First is:

$foo_length = () = SOME_LIST
              ============== list assignment in

Second might mean something like:

$foo_length = SOME_LIST # although this can't happen
            =           assigned to
===========             scalar

See the difference?  And the latter can't happen.