Thank you Randal, for explaining that.  I've never really understood
exactly how that worked before (3 years of perl programming too!).

While playing with test cases I came up with the following code
snippet that I figured I'd post as a thank you for your excellent
explanation.

#!/usr/bin/perl
$_ = 'utAnher Per Hkercalto sJ'; $_ = split //;@__=@_;
sub _{ $_ = wantarray ? shift @__: pop @__; print;}

_;
@_ = _,$_;
$_ = (_,() = _);

p.s. I'm _still_ trying to figure out most of your japhs!  Every time I
try I end up learning something by accident. :)  Ahhh, the joys of
recreational perl!

--
Perl, because 600 billion oysters can't be wrong
   Canadian Consulting Services' pet perl hacker