Windows 2K has NTFS (NT File Security) which can be enabled on your server.  You can
set it to protect drives, files, and folders.  There is an "Everyone" group in Win2k
Users, that might be the group that includes people trying to access the site.  You
can lock down the Everyone group and then set special permissions for your
Administrators and people who need access to the folders.  Sharing permissions are
also an option, and I recommend a combination of Sharing permissions and NTFS
permissions.  Just remember that when you combine the two security features it only
allows access to the "least common denominator" of permissions, ie. if a user has full
access to a folder with share permissions but only read access with NTFS, the user can
only read what is in the folder.

                                  Adam Carson
                                MIS Department
                             Berkeley County, SC

On Wednesday 04 July 2001 17:33, RL Autry wrote:
> At 08:18 PM 7/4/2001, Greg Jetter wrote:
> >like file placement in
> >the directory tree.
> >
> >Greg
>
> Ok Thanks Gregg now we are getting somewhere to an answer.
> Can you tell me what "file placement is" I think you mean to put it into
> the cgi-bin when you say the directory tree    -   correct?
>

> Thanks,
> RL
My understanding  is that on win box's you can  ristrict access to "shares" ,
that would be about the same as  limining access based on  user ID ,  If a
share { else known as a directory} was password restricted then you might be
able to use that the same as user ID.  How  to impliment that is beyond me ,
I use linux to develop with and only win for games.

that might solve your problem , like every thing else there is probaly a Perl
module that handles the stuff for you , you might try looking for CPAN for
modules that  relate to  windows .

Greg