Couple of things to check:  Now, if I'm reading this correctly, you already
have http://hostname/cgi-bin/perlfile.cgi running if you point the browser
directly to that link.  Now, you're trying to get that script to run by
pointing to http://hostname/cgi-bin/ itself.  The first thing I would check
is the Apache config file, searching for a line that starts with
"DirectoryIndex" and should have a list of files after it, like "index.html
index.htm" and so on.  Make sure that you insert index.cgi (or whatever you
want to actually name the script, it could just as easily be perlfile.cgi)
into that line.  These entries are checked for in order, so if your line
looks like this:

    DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html index.cgi

and two files exist in the directory, one named index.html and one named
index.cgi, the index.html will be served up instead of the index.cgi.

Of course, if you're having trouble getting the dang thing to run in the
first place, then that's a different solution.  If so, let us know.

Dave K.

David T. Kuchler
Technical Configurator
Pioneer Standard Electronics