On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Tillema, Glenn wrote:
> I have two scalars, each contain a comma-separated list of values;
>
> $scaOne = "1,2,3,4,5";
> $scaTwo = "label one,labelTwo,label,label4,label five";
>
> I want to put these into a hash where the end result would be this;
>
> %hashOne = ( 1 => 'label one',
>              2 => 'labelTwo',
>              3 => 'label',
>              4 => 'label4',
>              5 => 'label five',);

Using the hash slice example in Learning Perl 2nd Edition, page 70, I
wrote the following script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my $scaOne = "1,2,3,4,5";
my $scaTwo = "label one,labelTwo,label,label4,label five";

# convert scalars to arrays using join
my @One = split( ",", $scaOne );
my @Two = split( ",", $scaTwo );

my %hashOne;

# use arrays as hash slices with interpolation

@hashOne{ @One } = @Two;

while ( ( $a, $b ) = each( %hashOne ) ) {
    print "$a is $b\n";
}

The output of this script is:
1 is label one