Hi,

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Chris Johnstone wrote:

> My question is, do "professional" programmers working on large
> applications using the CGI interface oftern turn to
> JavaScript, or do they try to solve everything internally with PERL?

As a 'professional', I turn to the tool that does the job I need done.

If I want to add image mouse-overs to my page, I'll use Javascript.  If I
want to program a database back-end, I'll use perl.

In general, I'm not a big fan of Javascript because of the various
implementations which cause browser problems for my users.  I also never
depend on JS being active.  For any 'must-have' functionality, including
validation, I'll use perl for CGI work.

Lisa Wolfisch Nyman  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  IT Warrior Princess
"Life is too short to wear ugly underwear."
Get the facts at http://quickfacts.census.gov/