On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Chris Johnstone wrote:

> I am a beginning PERL programmer working primarily
> with the CGI interface, and have just encountered my
> first problem which I couldn't solve with PERL. After
> about a solid week of trying different things, I gave
> up and used a little JavaScript code. My question is,
> do "professional" programmers working on large
> applications using the CGI interface oftern turn to
> JavaScript, or do they try to solve everything
> internally with PERL?

In the various web development places I have worked, JavaScript stuff was
usually handled by the 'front end' people (the designers who did the page
development) and not by the engineering department (the programmers who
did the server-side stuff), so it was a rare case that something was taken
out of engineering and moved to the web developers.  In a freelance job I
am doing right now, we are doing the opposite: I am taking a bunch of
JavaScripted prototyped pages that comprise a web application and am
re-engineering in Perl.

What was the problem you couldn't solve with Perl?

-- Brett
                                   http://www.chapelperilous.net/btfwk/