--- Eric Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So I can actually use a CGI to carry out the perl script in the front end
> and put the -T inside the cgi right? and the users cannot see which perl
> script was executed because it's on the server site.
> Is that right?
>
> eric

Eric,

You'll have to go into IIS and see what cgi script extension is associated with (i.e.,
what opens
it).  If it's associated with PerlIS.dll, you will have faster performance, but cannot
use taint
checking.

Generally, taint checking on Windows with IIS is difficult with CGI scripts because
IIS does not
recognize the shebang line (except for the switches).  It relies on the program
associated with a
particular extension.  Since this program is executed *before* the script is read in,
you get a
"Too late for -T" error if you try to use taint checking.

If you can live with slightly slower performance on IIS (kind of a given, huh? :), you
can do the
following on IIS 5.  Open up the Internet Information Services console and right-click
on the Web
site you want to adjust and select "properties".  On the properties window, click on
Directory and if Execute Permissions has 'scripts' in the drop down, click the
"Configuration".
On the configuration window, select the extension that you want to change and click
"Edit".  In
the following window, in the "Executable" window, enter "D:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe -T %s
%s" (without
the quotes and make sure that you have the correct path to Perl.exe).

Please note that *all* of your CGI programs with the chosen extension will then have
taint
checking enabled.  This is not a backwards-compatible fix.  You may need to add a new
extension
and migrate your scripts over.

Depending upon how your system is set up, those instructions may change slightly.
You'll need to
talk to your boxes administrator to get things to work.

Since going with straight CGI instead of ISAPI is a performance killer and my personal
research
has revealed NO suitable alternatives when using IIS, you may wish to consider
mod_perl with
Apache for Win32.  You can find more information about mod_perl with ActivePerl at
http://www.mail-archive.com/modperl%40apache.org/msg11515.html.  However, I think this
may still
be a beta product at best.  If you need performance *and* security, Windows is not
your best
option (though that's what we use where I work).

Good luck!
Curtis Poe

=====
Senior Programmer