Newbie question here...

I've created a CGI.pm object and want to pass its reference to a function.
It keeps on puking though, returning this message:

Type of arg 1 to main::isPresent must be scalar (not single ref constructor)
at C:\src\Orion\cgi-bin\share.pl line 45, near "$user)"

Basically, I'd like to treat the $req CGI.pm object as just that in the
function call isPresent(). Maybe not the best use of a reference, but I'm
hellbent on figuring out this reference thing first! ;-)

Here's the offending source (I've left out code for brevity). Please note
that I have set this function up in prototype form (mostly for posteirity):

sub isPresent(\$$);

our $req = new CGI();

if(!isPresent(\$req, $user))
{

        print "User not present\n";
}
elsif (!isPresent(\$req, $pass))
{

        print "Password not present\n";
}
elsif (!isPresent(\$req, $agreed))
{

        print "Agreement not present\n";
}

sub isPresent(\$$)
{

        my $qref = shift;
        my $paramname = shift;
        my $query = $$qref;

        if($query->param($paramname) =~/""/ || !defined ($query->param($paramname))
        {
                #return;
        }

        #otherwise...