I found a solution not long after using a loop of sorts. (and killed two
birds with one stone, as my next step was to put each item (space delimited)
into an array).
I made a loop saying, 'as long as $input still has characters in it, put
each one (one at a time) into the @front_chars array, then reverse the list
order so it's normal again.'

$input = "1234";

while($input ne undef){
push(@front_chars,chop($input));
}
@front_chars = reverse @front_chars;

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but it helped me....